Preserving and Enhancing the Safety and Quality of Life for our Community are Goals of Newly-Merged Department
(MIAMI, November 2, 2009)- In an effort to consolidate the compliance responsibilities in the County, the Board of County Commissioners, at its final budget hearing, approved the merger of the Building Department with the Office of Neighborhood Compliance. Effective October 1, 2009, the new name is Miami-Dade County Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department (BNC). The department will remain at the Miami-Dade County Herbert S. Saffir Permitting & Inspection Center located at 11805 SW 26 Street, Miami, Fl 33175-2464, which is a “one stop shop of permitting and code enforcement services” related to buildings and neighborhood regulations. The phone number for building and permitting matters is (786) 315-2000; the phone number for the neighborhood compliance issues is (786) 315-2700. The website is at link BUILDING.
The newly formed department combines the shared mission of ensuring and maintaining the safety, welfare and quality of life for residents in unincorporated Miami-Dade County. This commitment is accomplished via enforcement of construction regulations and codes governing buildings and unsafe structures to include enforcement of neighborhood maintenance regulations.
Among the continual services being provided by the Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department are the following:
* Expeditious and effective permit plan reviews
* Proficient construction inspections to ensure compliance with applicable building codes and regulations
* Proactive code enforcement to include initiating the repairing, securing or demolishing of unsafe structures.
* Innovative online e-permitting services provided for efficiency and expediency.
* Promotion of green building expedite permitting processing and water-use energy-efficient buildings.
* Code enforcement/compliance services in the unincorporated area neighborhoods (a number of Neighborhood Compliance Officers are dedicated to specific areas and can assist residents in resolving everything from overgrown lots and illegal signs to junk and trash removal)
* Respond to inquiries regarding the Code of Miami-Dade County through the phone or Internet: www.miamidade.gov
* Lien process and services
* Registry program for residential properties subject to foreclosure
The newly-merged Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department will continually strive forward to meet and exceed the needs of the community and its residents by preserving and enhancing the public’s safety, welfare and quality of life.